Art Created at the Exhibition

Pinhole Self Portrait, 6 minute exposure 

During my recent exhibition at the You Me Gallery in Hamilton, Canada, much was created by myself and others. Here's a round up.

First, a 4 minute long film showing the exhibition itself.

Second, an article by Jeff Mahoney of The Hamilton Spectator. Nice to see it appear in the weekend broadsheet alongside the New York Times International Edition. Download a PDF of the article here.

A photo of me by visiting artist Andrew Man-Jeune Chiu. using Lomochrome Metropolis film and a Lubitel 166+ camera. The second photo shows Andrew as he made the image. 

A photograph of me by visiting artist David Alan Hill

A pinhole photograph of the gallery owner, Bryce, by me. Made with a Box Brownie, 40 seconds exposure.

Another pinhole photograph of the gallery owner, Bryce, this time made with a 1950's Bencini Comet, 60 seconds exposure.

Pinhole self portrait with the Box Brownie, 6 minute exposure.

Another pinhole self portrait with the Box Brownie, 5 minute exposure.

A final pinhole self portrait with the Box Brownie, 6 minute exposure.

I had some pinhole photographs that I made in Sri Lanka, stuck to paper that I'd bought there. It was handmade from elephant dung (the elephant's diet contains a lot of fibre, so the dung makes excellent paper) and even though I'd had the images on the paper for over 12 years I'd yet to do anything with them. I decided to paint around them, using memories relating to the pinhole scenes as reference. All are approx. 6" x 4" in size.

Rome; a similar concept to the Sri Lankan images but this time with a pinhole photo of the Colosseum stuck onto regular card stock. 

A scene I painted of Clovelly, from a postcard that I'd found in my parent's belongings. They loved going there for the old style of English coastal life that the village represented.

A view of Venice, from a photograph that I took in September of 1986. It was my first visit to the city. I got off the overnight sleeper train from Paris, walked outside, and found that a regatta was in full swing. 

There were 2 pinhole photography workshops during the course of the exhibition. Much good work was created at both of them. I'll highlight just 3 images here.

Bayfront Park, by Cheryl Hoffman.

In the gallery, by Elaine Lauzon.

From the gallery, by Mary.

I set up solargraph pinhole cameras among the potted plants in the front window of the gallery at the beginning of the exhibition and this is what happened. The images show the arc of the sun over James St N for the 2 week exposure period.


And finally, almost, I had some game camera footage on my phone that I'd collected from a friend's property in Upstate New York. During down time in the gallery I made 2 films using it, on my phone. We'd set the game camera up by a breach in the pond's old dam to see if a beaver from a creek over a mile away would hear the water running and come to repair it. The beaver had been seen at the creek but wasn't a frequent visitor to the pond. This is what the camera recorded during that night. The beaver repaired the dam completely. My friend tells me that it and a mate have now moved into the pond. I look forward to seeing them when I next visit in a month. First there's the short 4 minute version, then if you want to see all the footage, there's an 11 minute version. 



And, if you'd like a closer look at the whole exhibition, here's a catalogue containing all the images and writing that was on show, plus extra content. 
The catalogue should appear as a PDF, you can download to your device via the button top right. When you view the document, I think it's best to do so as a 2 page spread, with the cover as a separate image. One of the tabs at the top of the page should give you an option for that. Looks great that way on a laptop!

Thanks a lot for reading, viewing, and downloading! I hope you enjoy. Any questions or comments are always welcome. Contact me via the website form or direct at drwise100@gmail.com

Most Popular Posts